Saturday, November 1, 2008

Samhain/Day of the Dead

I've been a tired puppy all day. We got home about 2:00 a.m. which means I was running around and dancing in 3 inch heels for six hours and my feet were so sore I could barely walk into the house. We slept in until 10:00 when a nice man from the hall where the party was held called Jerry's cell phone to let him know he had found my cell phone under the stage. We had searched that place high and low for my phone--how in the heck did it end up under there? I got up and dressed slowly as my body felt like I was one of the walking dead. After picking up my cell phone we went out to breakfast at The Sin Of Cortez where they serve some of the best coffee in town besides my friend Bobbie's coffee cart at the Saturday Farmer's Market. I was in some desperate need of a good cup of Joe. Hey, maybe Sarah Palin should start smoozing up to good ole Joe Coffee if she really wants to impress the American public. After breakfast I went to visit my mommy.

She was in bad shape when I arrived. The first thing she said to me was "What are you doing here? You've got to help me, they are trying to kill me. Get me out of this place now, before it's too late. I sat down with her and she was fairly angry with me for not rushing her out the door. Within a few minutes she informed me that I had waited too long to rescue her, and now it was too late. So I just sat with her for awhile and then got some lotion and massaged her legs and feet which is one of her favorite things and that calmed her down after awhile. She was feeling pretty peaceful by the time I left.

I came home and my neck and back were really hurting so Jerry gave me a great massage and then we napped together for a little while until I got up and soaked in a warm bath. Jerry warmed us some soup and toast for dinner and then my friend D. came by and we walked downtown to The Blue Room Theatre to see a play celebrating Irish Halloween called Samhain. Samhain is the time when the veil that separates the two worlds is lifted. In the play a wiccan priestess recited the 7 universal truths of the Celtic tradition that lead to enlightenment. I appreciated this little gem in the play and hoped I could find them with google to share in this post but nothing came up for me. Darn.

Here's a few fun pictures from the party last night.

1. Me as a Switch.
2. Part of our Day of the Dead altar with a picture of my grandmother, Mary Jane and R.'s grandma Sweetie.
3. Angel of Death
4. Alter with my lovely skeleton and pictures of Coleen Jarvis, Danny West, Joe Bisignani (who I was scared to, but just the same, loved to dance with) and John LaPado.
5. Jerry as Jon Ben Jova accepting his 3rd place prize for best costume.
6. Jon Ben Jova and my friend Sandra as Frida Kalho. She looked incredible but my darn camera refused to flash the several times I attempted to take her picture.
7. My son O. as the Joker






No comments: