Sunday, June 8, 2008

Bare Bones

'All that I see is none other than myself, but with a different name and form.'
From An Awakened Life:

The gist of this chapter is that we have more in common with others than that which separates us--the four facts of physical existence--birth, old-age, sickness and death. Ouch.

I don't know, I didn't care for this chapter so much. It reminds me of the old boring Buddhist texts I used to read that just didn't resonate with me. There was nothing "wrong" with this chapter, just that the point it seemed to be trying to make wasn't done in a very inspiring way.

Two quotes from this chapter though that I like is the one above and this one:
Getting down to the bare bones means that we know will die and we live knowing it. It brings a different kind of perspective to daily life. Such a view, when properly understood, does not generate a depressed feeling but rather enlivens our participation in daily life.

No comments: