Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Check This Out

Check out this article that Nan Wise wrote on Relationship. It's called "Hot tips on creating Outrageous Intimacy: Intimacy that feels good and is good for you."

In this article Nan suggests that we create Outrageous Intimacy by starting out with "an outrageous relationship with self." And then she offers suggestions for doing just that. I love Nan's definition of Outrageous Intimacy as "pure, unrestrained love in action."

She borrows a model from Gay and Kathlyn Hendricks' book "Lasting Love," which identifies five steps toward creating joyful, enduring partnerships and then she adds her own observations. Here's the basic model that she expounds on.

The five conditions necessary for lasting love/outrageous intimacy are:

*Mastery of Commitment
*Emotional Transparency
*Shared Responsibility
*Creative Individuation
*Radical Appreciation

Very nice article which pretty much covers a good portion of the type of work I do with my own clients.

I really appreciate Gay and Kathlyn Hendricks' many contributions towards creating authentic relationships. Here are a few more books that either Gay, or Gay and Kathlyn, have written. There's lots more books and a bunch of cd's and other stuff that you can either find on their website or at Amazon (and your local bookstore of course.)

*Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Commitment
*Conscious Living: Finding Joy In the Real World
*The Conscious Heart: Seven Soul-Choices That Create Your Relationship Destiny
*Conscious Breathing

2 comments:

Pamm said...

Oooh...my favorite Teachers of relating to self and other. The trainings I took from Gay and Katie were some of the most profound life transforming workshops I ever took. It was many years ago, but their razor sharp processes really are amazing in their abilty to cut to the core of our psyche. I was introduced to them by a friend who saw the work I was doing on my own, and suggested they might be a few steps ahead of me. They were about a mile. Their work resonated deeply so I took their Body Centered training. My life took off.

I AM ANOTHER said...

Hi Pamm, Funny, it was just last night that one of my other friends told me that she took one of their workshops and they were not a good match for her. I've never done a workshop with them but from what I've read it seems they would be intense. I like that, someone who can cut to the core of my bullshit. I'm glad your experience with them was powerful for you.