Monday, March 26, 2007

HGW XX/7

Jerry and I went on an adventure yesterday. We hiked over 8 miles to see Feather Falls. Today our calves are really sore so instead of staying home and cleaning up some of the mess I've been making with my spring cleaning, we treated ourselves and went to "cheap skate night" at our local alternative movie house, The Pageant Theatre. Only $3 a head every Monday and there is even nutritional yeast for the popcorn. Not that we need an excuse to be lazy and watch a movie, because that's what we always do anyway. It's one of our favorite pastimes.

I just adore living in downtown Chico. Every happening place to be is right within walking distance. The Pageant is only two blocks away, as is Cafe Flo, one of our favorite little places to eat before we see a show. My women's investment group meets there once a month also and it's just a hop, skip and jump from my front door. My office is 3 blocks, plus 3 flights of stairs away. Right across the street from my office is our brand spanking new downtown city plaza with its ground level water fountain for children to play in and a first class bandstand that will be honoring all of our favorite local bands at the Friday Night Concerts In The Park. Spark-n-Cinder, one of my most favorite bands of all time, plays June 15th! Saturday morning Farmer's Market is just out our back door and our favorite restaurant, Chada Thai, is 4 blocks away. My favorite place to spend $5, just 2 blocks from home is Duffy's, our downtown neighborhood pub and dive bar, that offers Irish Music every Friday from 4:00 to 7:00 with the Pub Scouts. $1 at the door, $3 for a Sierra Nevada Porter, and $1 tip for the bartender. The smiles, hugs, and conversations with friends are free. Did I mention that I love living downtown? And you should see my house. It was build in 1873 and it's just lovely. Great yard too, full of of trees and fruits and flowers. I'm so lucky.

Well then, back to the Pageant. We saw The Lives of Others, starring Ulrich Muhe and other German actors and was directed by Florian Henckel Von Donnersmarch. It's a drama about before the fall of the Berlin Wall and East Germany's Secret Police. It won the Best Foreign Language Film and it was very, very good. Bring some tissue for the last scene.

I came home and briefly looked for my little piece of the Berlin Wall that my friend, Katie, brought back and gave to me, shortly after the wall was torn down. I wanted to take a picture of it and post it here but I've tucked it away somewhere and will have to search some more to find it. You'll have to watch the movie to find out what HGW XX/7 means.

No comments: