Friday, March 23, 2007

We Kicked His Ass


I'm a huge Rob Brezsny fan. I consider the man a genius and one of the world's foremost "love doctors". He has dedicated much energy to promoting pronoia, which is a powerful medicine that I think the world could use lots more of these days.

Mistress Matisse
is a fan of his too and that knowledge has added a new dimension to my respect for her. I already thought she was intelligent and sexy with lots of common sense and good advice. But when she revealed that she reads Brezsny and loves his poetic style, I was a bit surprised and even more impressed with her. Matisse seems like such a down-to-earth girl that I would have never guessed that his style (maybe too woo-woo?) would resonate with her. "Down-to-earth?", you laugh. "Mistress Matisse?" Well yes. She may be a very kinky, pro dominatrix, with sadistic tendencies, but nevertheless...

One New Years Eve several years ago, my husband, Jerry, and my best friend, Rowan, and I attended a New Year's Ritual in Marin, that Rob and some of his friends were hosting. As we entered the ritual space, Rob christened us with new names. I was given the name, Shewhobehot, and Jerry received, Soul Stirrer. None of us can remember Rowan's name...poor thing. I hope she doesn't need it to get through the gates of heaven some day.

In the ceremonial space, two altars were set up at opposites ends of the room. One altar honoring the pasting of the old year, served as a sacred place to discard what we no longer needed or wished to carry with us as we continued on our journey. The other altar honored the incoming of the new year and all the conscious choices we were making and the things we were hoping to bring into our lives and the world, at this demarcation of a new beginning.

We were entertained with poetry and prose and various musical performances. It was also a very interactive event in which we were encouraged to engage in all sorts of bizarre ceremonial acts such as donning bibs and drooling and making exceptionally strange sounds. My favorite was strutting around the room with the intention of looking as unattractive as possible. This activity served as an incredible eye opener in regards to the energy we expend trying to impress others, always striving to portray ourselves in the best possible light. It was actually quite liberating to walk awkwardly about, around scratching one's butt and making strange faces, practicing not caring what others thought.

After the ceremony we socialized and eat, connecting with others in a variety of capacities. If I recall there was a lot of "ass kicking" going on as Rob had encouraged all of us to kick our own asses. Rowan requested Rob to kick her ass and I asked if him to drool on my breasts. He kindly obliged both of us. We kicked his ass too. Maybe it was one of those moments where you just had to have been there.
Pronoia--The sneaking suspicion that the whole world is conspiring to shower you with blessings.

No comments: