Friday, January 25, 2008

No Fucking Fun

I've been noticing teeth pain for several months now. It first started with a sensitivity to cold and I started warming the cold morning water that I rinsed my mouth out with after brushing my teeth. Then biting into cold fruit started causing me pain. And not fruit out of the refrigerator, but room temperature apples and pears. Several weeks ago I was in a restaurant with my family and I bit into a piece of lettuce with set it off so badly I had to leave the table and go and sit in the car, crying and deep breathing for awhile before it calmed down. Then I started noticing a sensitivity to hot drinks. I could never pin point the pain to any particular tooth but the pain was always on the right side of my mouth, both top and bottom.

Last night some warm tea set it off on the left side of my mouth and after eating 6 Alleve, brushing with Sensodine and swabbing a whole packet of Oral Gel tooth desensitiser on the root line throughout my mouth, I spent the evening with severe pain shooting up into my temple. I went in to the dentist at 8:00 am this morning for an emergency appointment and he couldn't figure out what was wrong. He swabbed more tooth desensitiser on my teeth and gave me some super strength Motrin that hasn't touched the pain. I've been on the couch all day with a heating pad. The pain subsides for a bit and then comes back in full force. On again, off again, all day. I'm wasted. I've had a break for about 20 minutes now and I can feel it coming back. I'm praying for a miracle. This is no fucking fun. Here's something people in the 1800's use to take for toothaches.

3 comments:

Greenwoman said...

Hi......

I have to wonder if you have developed either a sinus infection or an infection in the root of one of your teeth. The sinus infection can refer pain to the teeth. My husband gets that. And this sort of sinus infection doesn't have the same cold like symptoms of a normal sinus infection. Its the area of the sinuses that sits atop the pallet and for some reason refers to various areas of the teeth nerves. It requires nasal washes and an antibiotic to get rid of it. Its quite a severe infection if its got the teeth involved.

Taking Golden Seal capsules and drinking and rinsing with sage tea will help prevent the infections in future if that's what's wrong.

An infection in a root of the teeth is a very serious thing however. I had a dentist once tell me that its very easy for that to move into the jaw bone.

You should go back and ask for a course of antibiotics. If it is either of these sorts of infections, it should improve with about three or four days of treatment. If there's no improvement then you can stop the antibiotics and you'll know to keep searching.

The other way, you'd have to pay for all sorts of expensive crap to figure it out....

But that's my opinion and I told Dan so when he got this problem and was given some options. Its colder here, so people run wood stoves and hot air heaters more than in milder climes, so this sort of infection is much more common to our area. It happens because the sinuses get dried out from the heat, which makes them crack and so be open to infection.

Now he knows the early symptoms of it...which are exactly as you describe...along with blood in his nose.

Hang in there. Hope you feel better soon!!!

Moi said...

Oh, honey...hope it passes soonly. Sending hugs.

I AM ANOTHER said...

Hi Greenwoman. Yes, I've had a sinus infection that made all of my upper teeth throb in pain. I don't think this is sinus, but maybe...i have no symptoms, like you've mentioned so maybe it's the type your husband gets. It's awful. Anyway, a couple of problems with my teeth have been discovered. One is a small cavity and it's on the side that's hurting and causing me all the problems. Weird. The root canal tooth is on the other side that hurt me for one day only...I'm getting both those fixed and seeing the doctor for my sinuses. I've been taking goldenseal to heal the infection so I think that's why I'm feeling better now. Thanks for your kind words.

Thanks Gillette, passing soonly is very relative with this type of intense pain. But when it's gone it gone and I'm so grateful. Actually my mouth is very sensitive and sore right now but it's nothing, NOTHING compared to what I've been through.

Love.