Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy Birthday You Two

Yvonne Myrtle Charlton--December 31st, 1922

Today is my mom's 85th birthday. Three birthdays ago she was living in the same house she had lived in for over 40 years. She was still driving herself around town and taking care of her own affairs. She no longer drives and now uses a walker to get around her apartment. Tonight we will take her out for a birthday dinner in her wheel chair. My daughter-in-law lives with her, helping with her daily needs. I do her grocery shopping and handle her financial affairs. Yesterday I helped her shower. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's a little over a year ago. A lot can change in three years.

She was so happy this Christmas Eve with all the family squeezed into my living and dining rooms. She felt cozy and cared for, the center of attention.

Happy Birthday Mommy. I love you.

My little sister was born on my mother's 39th birthday. Happy Birthday Julie.

No comments: