Sunday, December 21, 2008

Welcoming The Returning Light

Midwinter/Solstice/Yule

What a nice day. Last night I attended the Holiday Burlesque Show with some friends (I've posted a You Tube video of Dick in a Box from SNL which was one of my favorite skits they did.) and then at midnight I was sitting in a hot tub with my friends, K. and R., with a light drizzle of rain falling on us. It was the perfect way to release the old and welcome in the new. Happy Solstice! I think I finally crawled into bed around 3:00 a.m. after puttering around the house for awhile--very happy after an incredibly sweet night. That didn't leave me much time to sleep considering that I had to be at a solstice dance Sweat Your Prayers type of celebration at 9:00 to honor the returning light. I pulled myself out of bed at 8:30 and had time to finish about half a cup of coffee when J. walked in the door to pick me up. We were to dress in a costume representing the part of ourselves we wanted to express more of in the coming year. When I contemplated what part of myself desired to emerge more the answer came easy--I want to meditate, do more yoga, and dance. When I pondered the essence of what these things offer me I realized that they are open channels that bring me easily and fully into the moment. And when I'm in the moment, that means that I'm accepting what it. Accepting what is correlates to what I'm simultaneously releasing from my life--attachment. Attachment to the idea that anything should other than exactly what it is. Releasing attachment to things being different and accepting what is brings me right smack dab into the moment. So yes, meditation, yoga, dance.

After the solstice celebration I took my two birthday boys (ages 30 and 22) out for a champagne brunch. After brunch I came home and connected with Jerry for awhile before heading to the mall with the guys to do some shopping. It was nice spending the day with them.

Jerry made us chili and cornbread for dinner and an old friend of his came by to visit and watch Sunday night football. After he left we decorated the Christmas tree together and then sat on the couch enjoying the ornaments and basking in its light. The last two days have been so peaceful. Really appreciating all the love in my life. I am very blessed!

1 comment:

Greenwoman said...

My goodness what beautiful images...

Yuletidings!!