Monday, December 15, 2008

Unexpected Death

I've been contemplating death all day. Strange that my last post was about preparing for death. I wrote that post the day of the night that Lars Logan died.

I really didn't even know Lars but he was a prominent figure in the local theatre scene and I had seen him in many plays. We would smile in recognition and say hello to each other when we crossed paths around town. I liked his energy. The last time I saw him was one week before he died, in the local production of Times Square Angel. Lars is third from the left in the picture of the cast from this Rogue Theatre production that was showing at the 1078 Gallery.

What's weird is that besides writing about preparing for death (my death) on Saturday, on Sunday I was thinking about Lars. I got on facebook and found his profile and looked at all his pictures and all of his friends. I was really drawn to him that day. On Sunday evening one of my friends posted on facebook that he had died.


I don't know the particulars of his death but what I've heard is that he didn't show up for closing night so after the show some of his friends went looking for him and found him at home, in bed, dead.


I feel sad and oddly connected to this beautiful young man. I feel sorry for his family and friends who I'm sure must be in shock and mourning deeply. I feel a lot of love and appreciation for human connection.
Life and Death--Rumi
look at love how it tangles with the one fallen in love
look at spirit how it fuses with earth giving it new life
why are you so
busy with this or that or good or bad
pay attention to how things blend
why talk about all the known and the unknown
see how the unknown merges
into the known
why think separately of this life and the next
when one
is born from the last
look at your heart and tongue one feels but deaf and
dumb
the other speaks in words and signs
look at water and fire earth
and wind
enemies and friends all at once
the wolf and the lamb the lion
and the deer
far away yet together
look at the unity of this spring and
winter
manifested in the equinox
you too must mingle my friends
since the earth and the sky are mingled just for you and me
be like
sugarcane sweet yet silent
don't get mixed up with bitter words
my
beloved grows right out of my own heart
how much more union can there be
come on sweet heart let's adore one another
before there is no more of
you and me
a mirror tells the truth
look at your grim face brighten up
and cast away your bitter smile
a generous friend gives life for a friend
let's rise above this animalistic behavior and be kind to one another
spite darkens friendships
why not cast away malice from our heart
once you think of me dead and gone
you will make up with me
you will
miss me
you may even adore me
why be a worshiper of the dead
think
of me as a goner
come and make up now

No comments: