Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers Everywhere


I remember when I was entrenched in an old family pattern, taught to me by my mother--a memory well suited for Mother's Day. I would get very depressed each and every Mother's Day ( as well as my birthday, Christmas, Thanksgiving etc.) I always placed too many expectations on the holidays, and of course no one ever followed suit with my plans, even if they were flexible and unconscious. I didn't need to have any specific agenda and usually didn't but I did have some overall sense of how the day should proceed, who to expect a gift from, who should call me, how my loved ones should behave. Fortunately, over the years I've come to be mostly satisfied with allowing the day to unfold as it will.

It's been a sweet day with many precious moments (I noticed lots of mothers and daughters out and about all over today) and now Jerry is rubbing my feet while we watch 60 minutes and I write this Mother's Day post for my blog. Soon, The Tudors, the story of King Henry the VIII will be on. I'm thinking of all of my sweet friends as well as my daughters who are Mothers and I'm sending love and blessings to all of you, as well as to all mothers everywhere, and to my own mother in particular. Thank you mommy, for doing your part in bringing me into this world and for giving me so much. Where you were lacking, I know no lack and have nothing to forgive. I understand that our mother/child journey has brought me to where I am today, to this moment, the very launching pad into my future. I love you and thank you for your love. One thing I always knew, was that you loved me.

One of the greatest joys of my own motherhood was nursing my babies, sometimes in tandem. I think my breasts were continuously sucked on for something like 15 years straight!

2 comments:

Greenwoman said...

I hope you had a lovely mother's day. Sounds like it. *smiles*

These are all wonderful images. You always have wonderful images.

Alice said...

Thank you so much for reminding me of the joy I had in nursing my own babies. It was a very special time in my life. You inspired me to write my own post. I always gain so much from what you write. :)