Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Empty Nest

My baby left at midnight on a train to Portland, Oregon. He has a sales job there for the summer. He's 21, the youngest of the 6 children I gave birth to and while I'm happy that he is off on a young adult adventure, leaving home for the summer, and maybe for good, I'm sad too. Well, not sad really, but I'm just knowing that I'm going to miss him being around. He called me today while still on the train. That was sweet of him. They had been delayed in Eugene, Oregon after a boulder crashed into the train during a land slide. No one was hurt. As I said, he's my baby and I've lived with him for over 21 years. And he's the last of my husband's and my 9 children to leave the nest. I'm glad he's testing out his wings and I'm sure he's going to fly just fine. All the same, I'm having fantasies of traveling to Portland to visit him. I've lived there before, Puddletown USA--City of Roses. I was there for the ice storm of 1978 when his brother was a newborn and I moved away in 1982. Wow, has it really been 26 years since I lived there? He and his brother were born on the same day 8 years and 1 hour apart. He's the one who drove him to the train last night. I hear the city as changed a lot and I have friends there. Yes, a trip to Portland just might be in the cards...

Not that it isn't exciting to to have the house all to ourselves, just Jerry and me. Now there's some possibilities! I've lived with kids since 1971. That's 37 years! Wow. Changes. My nest is empty of children and I'm 53 years old. I wonder when was the last time I made love on the dining room table?

4 comments:

Greenwoman said...

*grins* My husband and I have been truly enjoying spankings and sex in the evenings in front of the tv....Cat's meow I can tell ya. *winks*

Changes...((hugs))

I AM ANOTHER said...

Ha. That's sweet Greenwoman. Yep. Getting a taste of that already. Love it.

Heidi said...

yes, visit Portland!

we could get a chance to meet...

I AM ANOTHER said...

Hi Heidi,

That would be lovely. I've love to meet you! We shall see.