Monday, July 30, 2007

Unlimited Power

Unlimited Power

Greenwoman has tagged me to write on Unlimited Power In her Defining Spiritual Presence blog.

The instructions for this meme are to share your viewpoints on Unlimited Power. "It can be about challenges, reaching goals, achieving dreams or just living the life you want. It can be about Life lessons, Empowering Resources or Daily Habits. It can be about the past, present, future."

I've dedicated myself to experiencing the Unlimited Power found in the relationship of Self and Other. The name of my blog is Tell Me What Another Is. I try to make it a daily practice of inquiring as to "Who Am I?", What Am I?" "What Is Love?", and "What is Another?"

Who is it that is writing this blog? Who is contemplating Unlimited Power? What is Unlimited Power?

Here are my current goals/challenges in relationship pertaining to the Unlimited Power of Self and Others:

I've been working to clear my mind and body, attempting to declutter this path to Self. I'm meditating and living more in the moment, focusing awareness on my breath and staying out of my stories--at least noticing when I'm in my stories and making a conscious choice to either stay there or to get out. I'm continuously releasing attachment to what I want and accepting more of what is--practicing non-attachment & acceptance. I'm intending to know Self and I'm more consistently staying open to directly experiencing the truth of who and what I am. I'm allowing all the things that I've identified with in the past, and yet who and what I am not, to reveal themselves as lies and to drop away. I'm tired to co-conspiring with lies.

The clearer I am, the more I am in contact with Self, and the easier I'm finding it to connect with Another. This connection seems to happen through communication and what is communication if not understanding? I'm becoming more and more aware of my desire, my purpose in life to both understand and to be understood. I yearn for this connection. I yearn to uncover and expose the truth.

I'm practicing responsibility--The Ability to Respond to Self, Another, Life. I'm really beginning to get that I'm the cause and creation, the Unlimited Power of my life and I'm learning to accept that and to deal with whatever is in my life in a responsible way.

I'm learning to take responsibility not only for my communication but for the communication of others. After all, communication is not a one way street. If my goal is to understand another, how can I not take this duty on? It's all part of the communication package. As I become more and more aware of my own triggers and barriers in communication and understanding, I become more aware of other's triggers and barriers and I find that I must respond to this. Part of my process of becoming a better communicator is helping others to communicate better also. Understanding can never occur if I attempt to separate myself from this responsibility.
There is Ultimate Power in Responsibility, in The Ability to Respond.
I am learning to accept "no" as a legitimate answer to my requests. Isn't this a big part of communication and understanding? For example: Yesterday I took three of my grandkids and my son to the movies. I tried to arrive early enough to find available seats in the row I favor. As it turned out there were many extra seats in that row but only four seats together on each side of a man and his son. As there were five of us I requested the man if he wouldn't mind, to please move down one seat in either direction. It seemed a very simple request, one that most anyone would willingly oblige. As it turned out, my request seemed to annoy him and he refused to move. I was outwardly pleasant enough with his refusal but afterwards I found myself holding on to the encounter and judging him with negative assessments about his character. I caught myself and realized that I was attached to those seats and that I was not willing to receive a "no" to my request. Actually then, it hadn't been a request at all, but rather from my reaction I knew I had made a demand, in the guise of a pleasant request. As I had no power to control him, he got what he wanted and I didn't. I laughed at myself at that point and stopped begrudging the man his seats, right in the center of the aisle that he had arrived early to attain and that he was holding on to. At that point I was filled with compassion and only hoped that he wasn't holding on to our interaction in a negative way as I had been.

I'm interested in having loving and clear relationships with everyone in my life. I have some cleaning up to do. I'm finding it a mighty challenge to be relationally responsible! Of course, I can only do what I can do but I think that's a lot more than I've done so far. Oh, the Ultimate Power in relational responsibility. It's a cluttered path but I'm enjoying the adventure.

I tag Emma Kelly because well, after all it makes sense, Unlimited Power and all. Also, James at The Buddhist Blog .

3 comments:

They call him James Ure said...

That is so beautiful how you let go of the incident with that man in the movie theatre. I'll work on my own meme.

I AM ANOTHER said...

Yep, letting go, I'm getting better at it all the time. Looking forward to reading your meme.

Greenwoman said...

Wow...That's a thoughtful piece Adrienne...as I knew it would be. Thank you and thank you for asking James to participate. I'm looking forward to his post nearly as much as yours