Saturday, February 7, 2009

Fear and Discrimination

Below, I've posted the first of seven episodes of Family a polyamorous themed, web based, comedy show produced in Seattle. I've been enjoying each of the new installments as they are available every couple of weeks or so. News has it that one of the actors, Ernie Joseph, who plays, Ben, in this series lost an opportunity to represent the Australian olive oil company, OliVaylle, in a series of commercials when they discovered this acting role where he plays a polyamorous man! You can read more of this story on Anita Wager's site, Practical Polyamory.

I'm getting more and more unwilling to sit silently when I'm confronted with this type of hate and fear in our world. Even though I write openly in my blog about being polyamorous and sometimes I mention it in other writings or conversations as a fact about myself, I also tend to be fairly quiet and discreet about my lifestyle and beliefs, not wanting to push my views and opinions onto others who may not be interested. But more and more, with the whole Proposition 8 fiasco here in California being a major stimulus, I'm getting really sick of sitting here with my quiet voice while people with loud open mouths shout their fears and discriminations from the rooftops.
"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."
Words by Pastor Martin Niemöller

No comments: